Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How the West Was Won

I dedicate this post to the loving memory of my old bedroom at the Overhouse, and to promises of future joy in my new room.

I've always been a fan of the roommate shuffle. Anybody who's lived with roommates for a while has probably thought a little about what life is like on the other side of the wall, or bathroom, or efficiency dinette with built-in mini fridge, or whatever living arrangement keeps all your junk away from the other people's junk. We've had a couple rotations of colorful characters sweep through this stately manse, but it's been rare (actually this is the first) that I've ever traded with anyone other than getting out of the bunk-beds with my brother. My old digs (West SIDE!) were decent, if a little cramped. Shelves built into the walls, great natural lighting, good heat flow, and a spiffy hallway-ish entrance that gave time to get decent when the Enemy would burst in on me when I had, um, company. But when I got the Queen size bed, things changed. Sure, it helped with the aforementioned "company", but seriously, it became a somewhat medium sized closet. Also? There wasn't a closet. So when Duddy moved out (sniff), Aaron snagged his, and I bolted for Aaron's. HA! Movin' on Up!    ...To the East Side! Now my old room has been turned into a studio booth, and I'm left with only memories. I will say that having a door directly facing Aaron's is pretty killer. I don't need an alarm clock anymore (we work at the same time/place), and I can make a quicker retreat after any unspeakable practical jokes committed under his bed. Or in his dresser (sorry). But some things I thought to brighten my life seem a little colder now. Clinical. Thicker walls mean less noise, sure, but it's harder to keep up on my roommates' sex lives now. And I'm certain they're saddened by lack of news from my romantic interests. Having a closet keeps my room clean(er), but it just doesn't feel like home without clothes ankle deep on the floor. 
Le sigh....

No comments: